- Be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Provide proof of permanent residence
- Possess a valid driver’s license or non-driver photo ID
- Possess proof of steady income (employment, social security, pension, etc.)
- Provide a signed copy of their lease stating that animals are allowed, as well as any restrictions on type/number of animals or fees/penalties that may apply, if they rent the home in which the animal is to reside
- Understand that the HumaneCNY may contact their veterinarian to ensure that they provide quality animal care and reserve the right to investigate further if issues indicate
- With animal welfare and child safety foremost in mind, the HumaneCNY reserves the right to determine if a family with young children is an appropriate match for the desired animal adoption.
- Dogs must be provided with regular interactive exercise (walking on a leash, visits to a dog park, etc.). Chaining a dog in the yard all day or allowing it to run loose is not acceptable.
- There are many alternatives to declawing a cat, and our staff will provide information to help achieve the desired outcome. If you desire a declawed cat, you may find a good match with one already in residence at our facility.
- The outdoors is dangerous for domestic cats: other animals, traffic, feline leukemia/FIV, traps, poison, etc.; hence, the HumaneCNY encourages that owners keep cats “indoors”.
- The HumaneCNY places its animals as domestic companions only. No dogs will be released for primary use as hunting dogs or guard dogs; non-feral cats will not be released for use as barn cats.
- No animal may be adopted with the intent of giving it as a gift to another adult person. In all cases, the new owner must be the adopter of record, and approval/denial of the application is based upon their information.
- Animals from the HumaneCNY cannot be given or sold to laboratories or animal testing facilities.
- Should an adoption prove unsuccessful, the animal may be returned to the HumaneCNY within 30 days. We do not offer refunds on adoption fees however, if a suitable “better fit” animal is available an exchange may be allowed, at the discretion of HumaneCNY. After 30 days, placement will be considered an owner surrender which will require payment of a surrender fee.
- If dogs or cats already reside in the home, it is the expectation that they are spayed or neutered unless age, medical condition, or AKC or CFA–registration breeding intentions make them ineligible at this time.
Our Adoption Application is designed to help us determine if the adoption is in yours and the animal’s best interest and to place our animals into permanent, responsible homes. We want to assist you in finding the pet most compatible with your lifestyle. Because the animal’s welfare must be our foremost consideration, staff reserves the right to accept or deny any adoption. Staff will review your application to ensure that the animal is going to a good home and that it is also the “right” animal for you.