We are in our newly renovated shelter and have many dog, cats and sometimes even a few birds, rabbits or ferrets available for adoption on any given day. It’s always best to come to the shelter to see who might be a perfect fit to complete your family.
When you visit HumaneCNY, a staff member will help you decide which animal will best fit you and your lifestyle. You will have time to get to know the animal’s likes and dislikes and how they would fit into your life. When you decide you want to adopt, one of the staff members will review guidelines and procedures with you and will help you fill out an application.
Additionally, all of the veterinary services your pet needs to get off to a healthy start in his or her new home are provided, including being spayed (females) or neutered (males) as well as vaccinations will be up to date. Once adopted, it is up to the new owner to make sure their pets receive their annual shots. In addition, a complimentary post-adoption physical examination is offered by several local veterinarians.
Most importantly, you will have the enormous satisfaction of knowing you have helped give a loving animal a much-deserved second chance.
When you decide you want to adopt, come to HumaneCNY and visit with our animals. Once you have selected an animal you wish to adopt one of the staff members will help you fill out an application and review the guidelines and procedures.
Please contact the shelter or stop in to learn what our adoption fees are. We often run specials and our fees vary with the promotion offer.
Guidelines for Responsible Pet Adoption
- Be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Provide proof of permanent residence
- Possess a valid NYS driver’s license or NYS non-driver photo ID
- Possess proof of steady income (employment, social security, pension, etc)
- Provide a signed copy of their lease stating that animals are allowed, as well as any restrictions on type/number of animals or fees/penalties that may apply, if they rent the home in which the animal is to reside
- Understand that HumaneCNY may contact their veterinarian to ensure that they provide quality animal care and reserve the right to investigate further if issues indicate
1) With animal welfare and child safety foremost in mind, HumaneCNY reserves the right to determine if a family with young children is an appropriate match for the desired animal adoption.
2) Dogs must be provided with regular interactive exercise (walking on a leash, visits to a dog park, etc.). Chaining a dog in the yard all day or allowing it to run loose is not acceptable.
3) There are many alternatives to declawing a cat, and our staff will provide information to help achieve the desired outcome. If you desire a declawed cat, you may find a good match with one already in residence at our facility.
4) The outdoors is dangerous for domestic cats: other animals, traffic, feline leukemia/FIV, traps, poison, etc.; hence, HumaneCNY encourages that owners keep cats indoors.
5) HumaneCNY places its animals as domestic companions only. No dogs will be released for primary use as hunting dogs or guard dogs; non- feral cats will not be released for use as barn cats.
6) No animal may be adopted with the intent of giving it as a gift to another adult person. In all cases, the new owner must be the adopter of record, and approval/denial of the application is based upon their information.
7) Animals from HumaneCNY cannot be given or sold to laboratories or animal testing facilities.
8) Should an adoption prove unsuccessful, the animal may be returned to HumaneCNY within 30 days. Return Policy: Adoption fees are non-refundable. It is important to realize that this is not a purchase; it’s an adoption. The fees actually go to the upkeep of our facility as well as to recoup some of the costs associated with providing medical care to all of our animals. Many times we adopt animals out for a fee that is actually less than the cost of medical care they have been provided.
If any animal recently adopted does not acclimate well into its new environment, we will gladly accept the animal back within a period of 30 days. After 30 days we unfortunately cannot guarantee that there will be space at our shelter. We encourage adopters to contact us immediately if there are any concerns so that we may assist with the transition.
9) If dogs or cats already reside in the home, it is the expectation that they are spayed or neutered unless age, medical condition, or AKC or CFA–registration breeding intentions make them ineligible at this time.
Our Adoption Application is designed to help us determine if the adoption is in yours and the animal’s best interest and to place our animals into permanent, responsible homes. We want to assist you in finding the pet most compatible with your lifestyle. Because the animal’s welfare must be our foremost consideration, staff reserves the right to accept or deny any adoption. Staff will review your application to ensure that the animal is going to a good home and that it is also the right animal for you.
Complimentary Pet Wellness Examination
from VCA Animal Hospital
HumaneCNY and VCA Animal Hospitals have teamed up to ensure that your pet is healthy and have agreed to provide your pet the following:
Complimentary Examination and Healthcare from VCA:
- A complimentary overall wellness exam (within five days after adoption)
- Complimentary 10-day follow-up care for the diseases listed below:
- Upper respiratory infections
- Diarrhea of infectious origin (excluding parvo)
- Ear and eye infections
- Coccidian Infections
- Infectious Tracheobronchitis (kennel cough)
- Vomiting of infectious origin excluding parvo)
- Urinary Tract Infections
- At participating VCA Animal Hospitals listed below:
Again, congratulations on the adoption of your new family member. We wish you both a long and healthy life together!