There are many good reasons to adopt a pet from HumaneCNY. All of the animals in our care have been carefully screened for behavior and medical health by our veterinarian and staff. Our investment in our animals includes taking the time to know their personalities so that our adoption staff can help you find the perfect match for your home and lifestyle, and are available to answer any questions you have post-adoption.
Additionally, all of the veterinary services your pet needs to get off to a healthy start in his or her new home are provided, including being spayed (females) or neutered (males) as well as vaccinations will be up to date. Once adopted, it is up to the new owner to make sure their pets receive their annual shots. In addition, a complimentary post-adoption physical examination is offered by several local veterinarians.
Most importantly, you will have the enormous satisfaction of knowing you have helped give a loving animal a much-deserved second chance.
Please contact the shelter or stop in to learn what our adoption fees are. We often run specials and our fees vary with the promotion offer.
Guidelines for Responsible Pet Adoption
- Be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Be a permanent resident of the central NY area
- Possess a valid NYS driver’s license or NYS non-driver photo ID
- Possess proof of steady income (employment, social security, pension, etc)
- Provide proof of ownership (deed, title, tax bill), if they own the house in which the animal is to reside
- Provide a signed copy of their lease stating that animals are allowed, as well as any restrictions on type/number of animals or fees/penalties that may apply, if they rent the home in which the animal is to reside
- Understand that HumaneCNY will contact the veterinarian you are currently affiliated with to ensure that you provide quality animal care and reserve the right to investigate further if issues indicate.
1) With animal welfare and child safety foremost in mind, HumaneCNY prohibits adoptions of animals to families with children under 5 years of age.
2) Dogs must be provided with regular interactive exercise (walking on a leash, visits to a dog park, etc). Chaining a dog in the yard all day or allowing it to run loose is not acceptable.
3) Declawing of cats is cruel and medically unjustifiable. If you desire a declawed cat, you may find a good match with one already in residence at our facility.
4) The outdoors is dangerous for domestic cats: other animals, traffic, feline leukemia/AIDS, traps, poison, etc; hence, HumaneCNY places cats with owners on an “indoor-only” basis.
5) HumaneCNY places its animals as domestic companions only. No dogs will be released for primary use as hunting dogs or guard dogs; no cats will be released for use as barn cats or “mousers”.
6) No animal may be adopted with the intent of giving it as a gift to another person. In all cases, the new owner must be the adopter of record, and approval/denial of the application is based upon their information.
7) Animals from HumaneCNY cannot be given or sold to laboratories or animal testing facilities.
8) Should an adoption prove unsuccessful, the animal may be returned to HumaneCNY.
9) If dogs or cats already reside in the home, it is the expectation that they are spayed or neutered unless age, medical condition, or AKC or CFA–registration breeding intentions make them ineligible at this time.
Our Adoption Application is designed to help us determine if the adoption is in yours and the animal’s best interest and to place our animals into permanent, responsible homes. We want to assist you in finding the pet most compatible with your lifestyle. Because the animal’s welfare must be our foremost consideration, staff reserves the right to accept or deny any adoption. Staff will review your application to ensure that the animal is going to a good home and that it is also the “right” animal for you.